Louisville FHA Lenders
Louisville is known for being one of the best kept secrets in the Midwest and is often referred to as the gateway to the south. It is a warm and friendly city with excellent employment and recreational activities and also has a growing housing market. If you are shopping for a home, we can help you to find an Louisville FHA lender to help guide you through the mortgage process, and a realtor to assist with your purchase.
Louisville home buyers who need a small down payment or have poor credit scores may be able to purchase a home with an Louisville FHA loan. There are many lenders in Louisville who offer FHA loans for people with credit scores as low as 500.
First, we will share some of the benefits of living in or moving to Louisville. Then, we will take you through the FHA loan requirements, detail what is needed to qualify, then help you to get pre-qualified. If you already know that an FHA loan is right for you, then click to connect with a Louisville FHA lender.
Top Reasons to Move to Louisville
These are some of the top reasons reasons to move to Louisville and what this great city has to offer:
- Four seasons with a moderate winter and summer
- A safe place to raise a family with wide open spaces close by
- Lots of employment opportunities
- Wonderful choice of diverse restaurants
- The Kentucky Derby which is an event that attracts tourists throughout the world
- College sports programs – Go Cards!
- The Louisville Zoo
- Live music and music festivals – Including internationally famous Forecastle, a 3-day event on Louisville’s waterfront
- Museums and architecture – Louisville has one of the largest concentrations of Victorian homes in the US.
- A place to sample and enjoy the country’s best bourbon and micro-brewed beer
- Modestly priced homes to purchase and rent
Louisville Housing and Living Statistics
|Population (metro Area)||1,300,000|
|Median Household Income||$51,307|
|Median Property Value||$171,000|
|Top Employment Industries||Healthcare & Manufacturing|
Louisville FHA Loan Requirements for 2023
These are the basic FHA loan requirements for this year. All of these must be met to be approved for an FHA loan. If you are not positive on whether you meet these standards or have questions, an FHA lender can help.
- Down payment of 3.5% or 10% if your credit score is below 580
- 2-year employment history with some exceptions allowed
- Fully document your income for the past two years
- Minimum FICO score requirement of 500 – down payment will vary
- Mortgage Insurance Premium (MIP) is required for every FHA loan
- Maximum debt to income ratio of 43% with exceptions up to 56%
- The home must be your primary residence
- No bankruptcies or foreclosures in the past two years
Louisville FHA Loan Benefits
These are the benefits of an FHA loan versus a conventional loan:
- Lower credit scores permitted
- Lower down payment requirement
- FHA interest rates are lower than conventional rates
- Gift funds allowed
- Seller closing cost contributions are allowed
- FHA loans are assumable
- Co-signers allowed
- Higher debt to income ratios permitted
Louisville FHA Down Payment Requirements
The down payment requirements for an FHA loan is the same in every state. The minimum requirement for an FHA loan is 3.5% of the purchase price. However, if your credit score is below 580, then the down payment requirement will be 10%.
If you do not have the down payment needed, you can also use gift funds from a relative.
Louisville FHA Down Payment Assistance
There are various down payment assistance programs in every state. Below is a list of just a few down payment assistance programs that may be available to you in Louisville. Home buyers will need to contact, and arrange for these programs independently. Lenders will accept the funds from these programs for your down payment but they typically will not arrange for down payment assistance.
Louisville FHA Loan Limits
Every county in the United States has specific maximum loan limits that are set for single family homes, as well as 2-4 unit properties. The limits are set based upon the average home sales value in that county. The base FHA loan limit for single family residences in Louisville is $331,760 for a single family home or condo.
FHA 203k Loans in Louisville
FHA 203k loans are a great program which will allow you to borrow the money needed to purchase the home plus additional funds needed to rehabilitate or remodel the home. This program is also available in your state and we work with lenders that help with your FHA 203k loan.
If you would like to fully understand how this program works, we suggest reading our article on FHA 203k loans.
FHA Streamline Refinance in Louisville
Louisville FHA lenders also offer the FHA streamline refinance program is available to existing homeowners who would like to refinance for a lower rate while eliminating some of the refinance costs such as an appraisal. You may also get a discount on the mortgage insurance premium which is another advantage.
For more information, please read our article on the FHA streamline refinance.
Louisville FHA Loan Pre-Approval Process
If you are looking for an FHA loan, there is an optimal process you should follow to get pre-approved.
- The first step is to make sure you have the minimum down payment needed to qualify
- check your credit and try to cleanup anything that is pulling down your scores
- Get a copy of your tax returns for the past two years
- Get copies of your pay stubs for the past month
- Get copies of your last two months’ bank statements
- Speak to an FHA lender about your loan scenario
Speak to one of our Louisville FHA lenders early in the process because they can identify opportunities to help with your FHA approval. This should be done months before you start looking for a home. Read more about how to get pre-approved for an FHA loan.
What to Look for in an Louisville FHA Lender
We take a few things into consideration when looking at which lenders we work with. Some of these also may be, or should be very important to you as you continue shopping for an Louisville FHA loan.
A good FHA lender will:
- Allow for credit scores as low as 500
- Provide FHA 203k loans
- Offer competitive rates and fees
- Have a great processing and underwriting team
- Work closely with you throughout the loan process
- Communicate well and will provide you with updates along the way
FHA Loan Calculator
Louisville Rental Market
Louisville has been identified as one of the top cities in the US to purchase rental properties. With this in mind, purchasing a multi family home with an FHA loan is a great way to begin investing in real estate. With just 3.5% down, you can purchase a 4 unit building, live in one while renting out the remaining three units. This is a great way to build wealth and potentially have very low monthly housing costs.
Frequently Asked FHA Questions
Can I get an FHA loan with a bankruptcy?
In general, you will need to wait two years before applying for an FHA loan after a bankruptcy. However, there are some exceptions which may allow you to apply sooner. Read our article on the bankruptcy waiting period.
Are all FHA lenders the same?
Not all lenders who offer FHA loans are the same. They all do not offer all of the FHA programs and their rates and fees may also vary. Most importantly, the individuals who help to process and underwrite your loan will have a huge impact on your FHA loan experience.
Can I use gift funds for an FHA loan?
FHA loans do allow for gift funds to cover your down payment as well as your closing costs. The gift funds must come from a relative or a close friend as approved by the lender. You will need to provide the lender with a gift letter that is signed by the donor.
Do I need an appraisal for an FHA loan?
The FHA does require an appraisal and inspection before your loan can be approved. The FHA inspection has clear guidelines on what needs to be repaired before your loan can close. They want to make sure home buyers are moving into a home that is safe and operational.
Can I get an FHA loan for an investment property?
FHA loans are for primary residences only and if your goal is to purchase an investment property, you cannot use FHA insured financing for that purchase. However, if you are currently living in a home that is financed with an FHA loan, you can move to a new home and keep the current home as an investment.